All natural salt, made from evaporated sea water, promotes healthy gill function, reduces stress and loss of electrolytes. Used to improve the efficiency of medications and reduce the harmful effects of nitrite.
Purpose and Benefits:
Directions for Use:
- Doc Wellfish's Aquarium Salt is made from evaporated sea water. This all-natural salt is intended for use in freshwater aquariums to add natural electrolytes, improve gill function, and reduce fish stress. Freshwater fish actively maintain a natural balance of electrolytes in their body fluids. Electrolytes such as potassium, sodium, chloride, calcium, and magnesium are removed from the water by chloride cells located on the gills. These electrolytes are essential for the uptake of oxygen, and the release of carbon dioxide. The lack of electrolytes can cause serious health problems for fish. During periods of disease and stress, healthy gill function is disturbed. This can lead to loss of electrolytes and osmotic shock. Osmotic shock reduces the ability of the gills to take up oxygen and release carbon dioxide and ammonia. Aquarium Salt reduces the risk of osmotic shock by replenishing natural electrolytes fish need.
- Aquarium Salt can also be used to reduce the toxicity of nitrite to freshwater fish. Nitrite (NO2-) enters the gills and prevents the blood from carrying oxygen, resulting in nitrite toxicity (methemoglobinemia). Aquarium salt will temporarily block the toxic effects of nitrite until water quality can be improved.
- Aquarium Salt contains no artificial additives, sugar and, unlike table salt, no artificial color. It is made from evaporated sea water, which contains the following beneficial electrolytes needed by freshwater fish: calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, and sodium chloride.
Compatibility: Aquarium Salt can be used with tropical fish, goldfish and koi. Aquarium Salt will not change pH. Aquarium Salt should not be used as a substitute for marine aquarium salt.
- Once added to the aquarium, salt does not evaporate and is not filtered out! After making the initial treatment with Aquarium Salt, add more salt only when making a water change. If, for example, you remove five gallons with a water change add only enough salt for five gallons.
- Add one rounded tablespoonful for every 5 U.S. gallons (19 L) of aquarium water. To treat goldfish bowls add ½ teaspoonful for each U. S. gallon (3.78 L).
- Aquarium Salt may be used as a short-term bath to treat external parasites (Tricodina, Ichthyobodo, or Epistylis). Dissolve 2 ½ cups (370 g) for every 10 U.S. gallons (40 L) of aquarium water. Carefully place the infested fish in the container for 5 to 10 minutes, and then put the treated fish back into the aquarium. The bath may be repeated in 24 hours if necessary.
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarium Supplies
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API) has been helping people take good care of ornamental fish for over 40 years. Their research and development scientists have advanced the care of fish with all-natural medications, stable bacteria for biological filtration, one-bottle test kits, consumer-friendly dosing caps and much more. They’ve received over 25 global patents for their breakthrough innovations in the aquatics industry. And they continue to look for ways to improve the fishkeeping experience for hobbyists. Research. Experience. Dedication to scientific, quality treatment for healthy fish. It’s what makes API the first choice of aquarium owners. API manufactures and sells hundreds of products across many different product categories, including aquarium and pond treatments, aquarium equipment, aquariums and fish nutrition.
Accessories for API Doc Wellfish`s Aquarium Salt 33oz