Canister filter media designed to fit the FilStar XP. For removal of Phosphate from fresh and saltwater.
Phos-Zorb™ - for fresh and salt water:
Phos-Zorb is a special filtration material that selectively removes phosphate and silicate, common nutrients found in fresh and saltwater aquariums. In saltwater aquariums, excess phosphate lowers the available calcium and magnesium necessary for the growth of hard corals and other invertebrates.
- Removes phosphate and silicate
- Removes phosphate, a by-product of fish metabolism and decaying organic matter and an additive in some tap water supplies, aquarium products and filtration media
- Will not remove trace elements
- Will not affect pH
Sources of Phosphate and Silicate in the Aquarium:
Directions for use in RENA® FilStar Filters:
- There are several natural and "man-made" sources of phosphate. Both well and municipal water supplies may contain phosphate, due to natural weathering of phosphate-containing minerals. Some municipal water treatment facilities add phosphate-containing chemicals to the water supply. Runoff also adds phosphate fertilizers to water supplies. Some phosphate-leaching sources in the aquarium include decaying organic matter, fish foods and products that are added to the aquarium, such as pH adjusters, water conditioners and some brands of activated carbon. If left to accumulate, phosphate can lead to reduced water quality.
- Silicate enters groundwater naturally through the weathering of mineral deposits. Additionally, sodium silicate is added to tap water by some municipal treatment plants to reduce the corrosion of pipes.
Use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Test Kits to monitor water quality weekly. Phos-Zorb is designed for use with all Filstar filtration media.
- Remove Phos-Zorb filter pouch from plastic bag.
- DO NOT open Phos-Zorb filter pouch. One 150 g pouch should be used for every 55 U.S. gallons (208 L) of aquarium water.
- Place filter pouch directly in FilStar filtration basket after (above) the filter foams.
- Rinse basket under tap water for several minutes to remove dust and activate Phos-Zorb. The activation process will temporarily generate some heat in the Phos-Zorb filter pouch.
- Replace filter pouch every 1 to 3 months, depending on stocking density and water quality.
Phos-Zorb should be replaced every 1 to 3 months to ensure continuous removal of phosphate and silicate. The level of these nutrients depends on stocking density, feeding rate, aquarium maintenance schedule and the nutrient levels present in the source water used in the aquarium. Phos-Zorb is often used continually to keep phosphate and silicate levels under control.
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarium Supplies
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API) has been helping people take good care of ornamental fish for over 40 years. Their research and development scientists have advanced the care of fish with all-natural medications, stable bacteria for biological filtration, one-bottle test kits, consumer-friendly dosing caps and much more. They’ve received over 25 global patents for their breakthrough innovations in the aquatics industry. And they continue to look for ways to improve the fishkeeping experience for hobbyists. Research. Experience. Dedication to scientific, quality treatment for healthy fish. It’s what makes API the first choice of aquarium owners. API manufactures and sells hundreds of products across many different product categories, including aquarium and pond treatments, aquarium equipment, aquariums and fish nutrition.
We ship 99% of the products we carry for free within the contiguous United States using a mix of economy methods including USPS First Class Mail, SurePost and UPS Ground. Your order will arrive in 5-7 business days.
Over 90% of our members receive their orders within 2 business using UPS Ground. Upgrade from free economy shipping to UPS Ground for only $4.99—or spend $199 and we’ll upgrade you automatically!
Expediated shipping services are available for most products if you are in a hurry. Get guaranteed delivery in 2 business days, 1 business day, or next day by 10:30 am. Costs vary by location.
Same-day shipping is available Monday-Friday for most products—place your order by 10 am PST. Pre-ordered and back-ordered items do not qualify, nor do drop-shipped, live, or frozen shipments.
Learn More About Shipping
Return any new and unused item within 60 days for a full refund. Having difficulty with a product? Contact us to speak with an aquarium expert. If you need a replacement, fill out this form.
A small segment of the 180+ brands we carry require that customers contact them directly if/when problems arise. You can view the full list of those brands and get their contact info here.
Marine Depot is an authorized reseller for every product we carry. That means when you buy aquarium supplies from us, your products are not only backed by our own 60-day return policy, they also carry full factory warranties, where applicable. Some items have a 1-year warranty, others have limited lifetime warranties. Warranty coverage varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, so please read the product description of the item(s) you are considering thoroughly for details or contact us if you have warranty questions.
Learn More About Returns
Rack up reward points to earn discounts on future purchases! You can earn reward points by creating an account, writing reviews, referring friends, subscribing to our newsletter, buying products, and more!
- Most Products
Earn 5 reward points for every $1 you spend to get 5% cash back
- Marine Depot, AquaMaxx, Accel Aquatics, and Korallin
Earn 6 reward points for every $1 you spend to get 6% cash back
- EcoTech Marine, NYOS, and Aqua Illumination
Earn 1 reward point for every $1 you spend to get 1% cash back
You can also get bonus reward points by purchasing select items during special sales and promotions.
Learn More About Rewards