Tests for nitrite in freshwater & saltwater aquariums. Toxic nitrite is produced by nitrifying bacteria in the biological filter as it breaks down ammonia. This kit tests for harmful nitrite and measures levels from 0 to 5.0 ppm. 180 tests per kit.
Freshwater/Saltwater Nitrite Test Instructions:
Why Test For Nitrite?
Nitrite (NO2-) is produced in the aquarium by the biological filter. Beneficial bacteria in the biological filter convert toxic ammonia into nitrite (also toxic). The biological filter then converts nitrite into nitrate (NO3-). Testing for the presence of toxic nitrite is essential, so that once detected, steps can be taken to remove it. Otherwise, nitrite in the aquarium will prevent fish from carrying on normal respiration. High levels of nitrite quickly lead to fish death. Even trace amounts of nitrite stress fish, suppressing their immune system and, thereby, increase the likelihood of disease and subsequent fish loss.
This test kit reads total nitrite (NO2-) level in parts per million (ppm) which are equivalent to milligrams per Liter (mg/L) from 0 ppm to 5.0 ppm, in either fresh or saltwater aquariums. Other nitrite test kits that measure “nitrite-nitrogen” (NO2-N) will give readings 3.3 times LESS than this test kit.
Directions for Testing Nitrite:
What The Test Results Mean:
- Read thoroughly before testing. Do not allow test solutions to get into aquarium.
- To remove childproof safety cap: With one hand, push red tab left with thumb while unscrewing cap with free hand.
- Fill a clean test tube with 5 ml of water to be tested (to the line on the tube).
- Add 5 drops of Nitrite Test Solution, holding dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to assure uniformity of drops added to the water sample.
- Cap the test tube and shake the tube for 5 seconds. Do not hold finger over the open end of the tube, as this may affect test results.
- Wait five minutes for the color to develop.
- Read the test results by matching the color of the solution against those on the Nitrite Test Color Chart. The tube should be viewed against the white area beside the color chart. Color comparisons are best made in a well-lit area. The closest match indicates the ppm (mg/L) of nitrite in the water sample. Rinse the test tube with clean water after each use.
Monitoring Nitrite Levels:
- In new freshwater and saltwater aquariums the nitrite level will gradually climb to 10 ppm (mg/L) or more. As the biological filter becomes established (in 4 to 6 weeks), nitrite levels will drop to 0 ppm (mg/L). In an established aquarium, the nitrite level should always remain at 0 ppm (mg/L). The presence of nitrite indicates possible over-feeding, too many fish, or inadequate biological filtration.
- The nitrite level is not an indication of the ammonia level; ammonia is another toxic waste material which must be tested separately.
Regular testing for nitrite is an essential part of routine aquarium maintenance. Aquarium water should be tested for nitrite once a week to make sure the nitrite does not reach undesirable level.
Reducing Nitrite in the Aquarium
Use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Nitra-Zorb™ to remove nitrite from freshwater aquariums. Nitra-Zorb is a rechargeable filtration material that removes nitrite from freshwater. Making partial water changes can also help reduce the nitrite level, especially if the initial nitrite level is very high. Use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals STRESS ZYME® to help speed the development of the biological filter. Adding Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarium Salt will reduce nitrite toxicity to fish while the biological filter is removing the nitrite.
Partial water changes will lower nitrite in a saltwater aquarium. Use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals STRESS ZYME to help speed up the development of the biological filter.
FIRST AID: Give large amounts of water or milk of magnesia. Wash thoroughly after handling. Keep out of the reach of children.
- CORROSIVE & HARMFUL.
- Causes burns. Harmful if swallowed.
- Contains hydrochloric acid. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. If on skin, flush with water for 15 minutes. If in eyes, hold lids open and flush with water for 15 minutes. Remove contact lens, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Call a physician immediately.
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarium Supplies
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API) has been helping people take good care of ornamental fish for over 40 years. Their research and development scientists have advanced the care of fish with all-natural medications, stable bacteria for biological filtration, one-bottle test kits, consumer-friendly dosing caps and much more. They’ve received over 25 global patents for their breakthrough innovations in the aquatics industry. And they continue to look for ways to improve the fishkeeping experience for hobbyists. Research. Experience. Dedication to scientific, quality treatment for healthy fish. It’s what makes API the first choice of aquarium owners. API manufactures and sells hundreds of products across many different product categories, including aquarium and pond treatments, aquarium equipment, aquariums and fish nutrition.
We ship 99% of the products we carry for free within the contiguous United States using a mix of economy methods including USPS First Class Mail, SurePost and UPS Ground. Your order will arrive in 5-7 business days.
Over 90% of our members receive their orders within 2 business using UPS Ground. Upgrade from free economy shipping to UPS Ground for only $4.99—or spend $199 and we’ll upgrade you automatically!
Expediated shipping services are available for most products if you are in a hurry. Get guaranteed delivery in 2 business days, 1 business day, or next day by 10:30 am. Costs vary by location.
Same-day shipping is available Monday-Friday for most products—place your order by 10 am PST. Pre-ordered and back-ordered items do not qualify, nor do drop-shipped, live, or frozen shipments.
Learn More About Shipping
Return any new and unused item within 60 days for a full refund. Having difficulty with a product? Contact us to speak with an aquarium expert. If you need a replacement, fill out this form.
A small segment of the 180+ brands we carry require that customers contact them directly if/when problems arise. You can view the full list of those brands and get their contact info here.
Marine Depot is an authorized reseller for every product we carry. That means when you buy aquarium supplies from us, your products are not only backed by our own 60-day return policy, they also carry full factory warranties, where applicable. Some items have a 1-year warranty, others have limited lifetime warranties. Warranty coverage varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, so please read the product description of the item(s) you are considering thoroughly for details or contact us if you have warranty questions.
Learn More About Returns
Rack up reward points to earn discounts on future purchases! You can earn reward points by creating an account, writing reviews, referring friends, subscribing to our newsletter, buying products, and more!
- Most Products
Earn 5 reward points for every $1 you spend to get 5% cash back
- Marine Depot, AquaMaxx, Accel Aquatics, and Korallin
Earn 6 reward points for every $1 you spend to get 6% cash back
- EcoTech Marine, NYOS, and Aqua Illumination
Earn 1 reward point for every $1 you spend to get 1% cash back
You can also get bonus reward points by purchasing select items during special sales and promotions.
Learn More About Rewards