Developed in conjunction with the US Distributor of NP BioPellets* , the NextReef SMR1 is the first media/substrate reactor specifically designed for long term use of larger media.
Evolved from our MR1 Media/Substrate Reactors, the NextReef SMR1 fills a specialized role while retaining the quality and ease of use you'd expect from a NextReef reactor.
Two sizes are available. The SMR1 is 16" tall overall, with a 14" reaction chamber, and the SMR1 XL is 23" overall with a 21" reaction chamber.
The NextReef SMR1 is based on our standard MR1 media/substrate reactors, but with some significant changes...
The SMR1 features plenums laser-cut from 3/16" acrylic. They're thick, they're heavy, they're strong... and they flow great.
- Cast blue acrylic for the main body . Made specially for us, it's both thicker and stronger than our standard tubing. The translucent blue color also serves an important purpose - it keeps out light to reduce algae and opimize beneficial bacterial growth. They're great in lighted sumps, or anywhere light exposure is a concern.
- Modified internal plenum assembly. Our original design works great with sponges and small media - the SMR1 eliminates the sponges to reduce maintenance. Since BioPellets and Zeolithic media are designed for long term use, reducing maintainence fosters system stability .
- Higher flow rates and reduced head pressure . The SMR1 comes set up to use larger fittings than our original reactors, so it flows more water with less restriction . The NextReef SMR1 flows enough water to easily fluidize larger media.
Every NextReef Reactor is hand-crafted in the USA from the highest quality materials, and CAD engineered / CNC cut for a precise fit.
- Recommended Tank Size: 250 gallons Marine
- Height: 16" Overall Height / 14" Reaction Chamber (405mm / 355mm)
- Width: 6" Overall (150mm)
- Reaction Chamber: 14" x 4" (355mm x 100mm)
- Total Capacity: 155 cubic inches / .68 gallons / 86 fluid ounces / 2.6 litre
- Inlet / Outlet: 5/8" 90 Degree Barb Fittings - fits standard 5/8" ID tubing
Product Manuals & Documentation
NextReef Systems operates a 4,000 square foot state-of-the-art plastics manufacturing facility in Bradenton, FL. The combination of precision CNC and laser cutting capabilities with master acrylic craftsmanship allow them to bring you the highest quality products for your aquarium, large or small. All of their products are made in the USA, from domestically sourced material (whenever possible!).
We ship 99% of the products we carry for free within the contiguous United States using a mix of economy methods including USPS First Class Mail, SurePost and UPS Ground. Your order will arrive in 5-7 business days.
Over 90% of our members receive their orders within 2 business using UPS Ground. Upgrade from free economy shipping to UPS Ground for only $4.99—or spend $199 and we’ll upgrade you automatically!
Expediated shipping services are available for most products if you are in a hurry. Get guaranteed delivery in 2 business days, 1 business day, or next day by 10:30 am. Costs vary by location.
Same-day shipping is available Monday-Friday for most products—place your order by 10 am PST. Pre-ordered and back-ordered items do not qualify, nor do drop-shipped, live, or frozen shipments.
Learn More About Shipping
Return any new and unused item within 60 days for a full refund. Having difficulty with a product? Contact us to speak with an aquarium expert. If you need a replacement, fill out this form.
A small segment of the 180+ brands we carry require that customers contact them directly if/when problems arise. You can view the full list of those brands and get their contact info here.
Marine Depot is an authorized reseller for every product we carry. That means when you buy aquarium supplies from us, your products are not only backed by our own 60-day return policy, they also carry full factory warranties, where applicable. Some items have a 1-year warranty, others have limited lifetime warranties. Warranty coverage varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, so please read the product description of the item(s) you are considering thoroughly for details or contact us if you have warranty questions.
Learn More About Returns
Rack up reward points to earn discounts on future purchases! You can earn reward points by creating an account, writing reviews, referring friends, subscribing to our newsletter, buying products, and more!
- Most Products
Earn 5 reward points for every $1 you spend to get 5% cash back
- Marine Depot, AquaMaxx, Accel Aquatics, and Korallin
Earn 6 reward points for every $1 you spend to get 6% cash back
- EcoTech Marine, NYOS, and Aqua Illumination
Earn 1 reward point for every $1 you spend to get 1% cash back
You can also get bonus reward points by purchasing select items during special sales and promotions.
Learn More About Rewards