This kit allows for easy and accurate measuring of calcium levels to help in maintaining a healthy aquarium.
Why test for Calcium?
Monitoring calcium levels is essential for keeping a successful reef aquarium. Reef organisms use calcium to build a calcium carbonate skeleton. Over time, as the calcium in the water is utilized, the calcium level will gradually drop. Calcium must be present for corals to grow. Even reef invertebrates such as crustaceans, mollusks and encrusting algae, require calcium to grow and remain healthy.
Calcium levels drop as it is used by invertebrates or as it reacts with excess phosphate. Making a partial water change may help to maintain proper calcium levels, depending on the brand of salt mix. Special calcuim additives are also available. Elevated phosphate precipitates calcium, rendering it unavailable to reef organisms. Phosphate enters the aquarium from tap water and as a byproduct of fish and invertebrate metabolism. Use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Phosphate Test Kit to test for phosphate. If necessary, use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Phos-Zorb™ to remove excess phosphate. Phos-Zorb is a special phosphate-removing filtration media that comes in a flow-through pouch. It conveniently fits into any filter.
Carbonate hardness (KH), often referred to as alkalinity, is important for reef organisms. As carbonate levels drop the pH becomes unstable. The carbonate hardness level (KH) should be 7-10 dKH [125 – 179 mg/L (ppm)] to encourage growth in a reef aquarium and maintain pH. Use the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals KH Test Kit to measure the carbonate hardness. Add Proper pH 8.2 to increase carbonate hardness and stabilize the pH to 8.2.
The Calcium Test Kit reads the calcium concentration in milligrams per liter (mg/L) which is equivalent to parts per million (ppm).
- Read thoroughly before testing. Do not allow test solutions to get into aquarium.
- To remove childproof safety cap: With one hand, push red tab left with thumb while unscrewing cap with free hand.
- Rinse a clean test tube with the water being tested.
- Fill the test tube to the line with the water being tested.
- Holding the bottle vertically, add 10 drops of Calcium Test Solution #1 to the test tube, cap and shake for 10 seconds.
- Shake Calcium Test Solution #2 bottle vigorously for 10 seconds.
- Holding the bottle vertically, add Calcium Test Solution #2, drop by drop to the test tube until the solution changes from pink to the blue end-point. Each drop is equivalent to 20 mg/L (ppm) calcium (Ca2+). Cap and shake the test tube between drops. Be sure to count the drops added.
- A pink color should form after the first drop.
- If a blue color forms after the first drop, the calcium concentration is 20 mg/L (ppm) or below.
- As the end-point is approached, the color will usually change from pink to purple before finally changing to blue. After the purple color forms, only one or two more drops should be required to reach the blue endpoint.
Note: Reef aquariums should have a calcium (Ca2+) concentration of between 400 to 500 mg/L (ppm). To save time, rather than adding only one drop at at time, several drops of Calcium Test Solution #2 may be added simultaneously at first, then the final drops can be added drop by drop as the endpoint is approached.
For example, if you think that the saltwater being tested contains about 400 mg/L (ppm) calcium, you can add 10 to 15 drops of Calcium Test Solution #2 at once as indicated in step 5, then cap and shake. If the solution is pink, continue adding drops, one at a time, until the end point is reached. If the solution is blue, then too many drops were added and the test must be repeated, adding fewer drops initially or adding the drops one at a time.Corrosive:
- Bottle #1:
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Eye contact: gently flush with water for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove contact lens, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing.
- Skin contact: wash thoroughly with soap and water.
- If swallowed, contact a physician or Poison Control Center immediately.
- Bottle #2:
- Contains Sodium Hydroxide.
- Causes severe burns.
- Harmful if swallowed.
- Keep locked up and out of the reach of children.
- In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. If contact lens is present, remove after 5 minutes, then continue rinsing.
- Wear suitable gloves and eye/face protection.
- If swallowed, contact a physician or call a Poison Control Center immediately.
- In case of accident or if you feel unwell, seek medical advice immediately (show label where possible).
Product Manuals & Documentation
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarium Supplies
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API) has been helping people take good care of ornamental fish for over 40 years. Their research and development scientists have advanced the care of fish with all-natural medications, stable bacteria for biological filtration, one-bottle test kits, consumer-friendly dosing caps and much more. They’ve received over 25 global patents for their breakthrough innovations in the aquatics industry. And they continue to look for ways to improve the fishkeeping experience for hobbyists. Research. Experience. Dedication to scientific, quality treatment for healthy fish. It’s what makes API the first choice of aquarium owners. API manufactures and sells hundreds of products across many different product categories, including aquarium and pond treatments, aquarium equipment, aquariums and fish nutrition.
We ship 99% of the products we carry for free within the contiguous United States using a mix of economy methods including USPS First Class Mail, SurePost and UPS Ground. Your order will arrive in 5-7 business days.
Over 90% of our members receive their orders within 2 business using UPS Ground. Upgrade from free economy shipping to UPS Ground for only $4.99—or spend $199 and we’ll upgrade you automatically!
Expediated shipping services are available for most products if you are in a hurry. Get guaranteed delivery in 2 business days, 1 business day, or next day by 10:30 am. Costs vary by location.
Same-day shipping is available Monday-Friday for most products—place your order by 10 am PST. Pre-ordered and back-ordered items do not qualify, nor do drop-shipped, live, or frozen shipments.
Learn More About Shipping
Return any new and unused item within 60 days for a full refund. Having difficulty with a product? Contact us to speak with an aquarium expert. If you need a replacement, fill out this form.
A small segment of the 180+ brands we carry require that customers contact them directly if/when problems arise. You can view the full list of those brands and get their contact info here.
Marine Depot is an authorized reseller for every product we carry. That means when you buy aquarium supplies from us, your products are not only backed by our own 60-day return policy, they also carry full factory warranties, where applicable. Some items have a 1-year warranty, others have limited lifetime warranties. Warranty coverage varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, so please read the product description of the item(s) you are considering thoroughly for details or contact us if you have warranty questions.
Learn More About Returns
Rack up reward points to earn discounts on future purchases! You can earn reward points by creating an account, writing reviews, referring friends, subscribing to our newsletter, buying products, and more!
- Most Products
Earn 5 reward points for every $1 you spend to get 5% cash back
- Marine Depot, AquaMaxx, Accel Aquatics, and Korallin
Earn 6 reward points for every $1 you spend to get 6% cash back
- Aqua Illumination, EcoTech Marine, Nano Box, Neptune Systems, NYOS, Oceanbox Designs, Pax Bellum, and Reef Glass
Earn 1 reward point for every $1 you spend to get 1% cash back
You can also get bonus reward points by purchasing select items during special sales and promotions.
Learn More About Rewards