Canister filter media designed to fit the FilStar XP. The ultimate media for the removal of organic waste from fresh and saltwater.
Bio-Chem® Zorb - for fresh and salt water:
Bio-Chem Zorb is composed of two organic scavenger resins and two ion-exchange resins, combined with a high-porosity activated carbon. Together, they remove synthetic chemicals, naturally occurring organic pollutants and metabolic by-products from aquarium water. Bio-Chem Zorb filters water to a level not achievable with carbon alone.
- Removes dissolved organic waste
- Makes water crystal clear by removing aquarium pollutants that cause discoloration and foul odors
- Removes toxic heavy metals in fresh water
- Does not remove trace elements from saltwater aquariums
Organic Pollutants in the Aquarium: Bacterial decomposition of dead fish and plants, uneaten fish food and solid waste from fish and invertebrates creates organic pollutants in the aquarium. In nature, water currents and tides carry these pollutants away. Aquarium water, however, is changed only periodically. In between changes, organic pollutants can accumulate to harmful levels.
Effect of Accumulated Organic Pollutants in the Aquarium:
Using Bio-Chem Zorb In Salt Water: Bio-Chem Zorb is especially useful in removing refractory organics or "yellow water" that form when organic pollutants are not biodegraded. These organic pollutants can reduce the transmittance of light energy necessary for many saltwater invertebrates. With Bio-Chem Zorb, a high redox potential will be easier to maintain. Bio-Chem Zorb is also very effective for removing aquarium medications and treatments.
- The accumulation of organic pollutants creates a stressful environment and provides a breeding ground for fish pathogens. Some naturally occurring bacteria break down certain organic pollutants. However, this action is often incomplete in an aquarium and uses up oxygen, reducing the amount of oxygen available for fish, invertebrates and the biological filter.
- Poor water quality ultimately causes suppression of the immune system, leading to disease outbreaks and inhibiting the growth and reproduction of fish and invertebrates. The accumulation of organic pollutants also leads to negative effects such as decreased pH, discolored water, reduced light transmittance and foul odors.
- Bio-Chem Zorb cleans aquarium water through ion exchange, adsorption and absorption processes. Organic pollutants, toxic heavy metals and aquarium medications are efficiently "sorbed" by organic scavenger resins and high-porosity activated carbon in Bio-Chem Zorb.
Directions for use in RENA® FilStar Filters:
Use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Test Kits to monitor water quality weekly. Bio-Chem Zorb is designed for use with all FilStar filtration media.
- Remove Bio-Chem Zorb filter pouch from plastic bag.
- DO NOT open Bio-Chem Zorb filter pouch. One 283 g pouch should be used for every 55 U.S. gallons (208 L) of aquarium water.
- It is important to rinse filter pouch of Bio-Chem Zorb under tap water to remove any dust. The rinse water does not have to run completely clear.
- Place filter pouch directly in FilStar filtration basket after (above) filter foams.
- Replace filter pouch every 1 to 3 months, depending on stocking density and water quality.
Product Manuals & Documentation
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarium Supplies
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API) has been helping people take good care of ornamental fish for over 40 years. Their research and development scientists have advanced the care of fish with all-natural medications, stable bacteria for biological filtration, one-bottle test kits, consumer-friendly dosing caps and much more. They’ve received over 25 global patents for their breakthrough innovations in the aquatics industry. And they continue to look for ways to improve the fishkeeping experience for hobbyists. Research. Experience. Dedication to scientific, quality treatment for healthy fish. It’s what makes API the first choice of aquarium owners. API manufactures and sells hundreds of products across many different product categories, including aquarium and pond treatments, aquarium equipment, aquariums and fish nutrition.
Most orders under $20 ship for only $1.99 using a mix of economy shipping methods including UPS Ground, USPS First Class, and/or SurePost. Your order will be delivered in 1-7 business days after it ships out.
We ship 99% of the products we carry for free within the contiguous United States using a mix of economy methods including USPS First Class Mail, SurePost and UPS Ground. Your order will arrive in 1-7 business days. Just spend $20 or more!
Over 90% of shoppers receive their orders within 2 business using UPS Ground. Upgrade from free economy shipping to UPS Ground for only $1.99—or spend $250 and we’ll upgrade you automatically!
Expedited shipping services are available for most products if you are in a hurry. Get guaranteed delivery in 2 business days, 1 business day, or next day by 10:30 am. Costs vary by location.
Same-day shipping is available Monday-Friday for most products—place your order by 10:30 am PST. Pre-ordered and back-ordered items do not qualify, nor do drop-shipped, live, or frozen shipments.
We ship live plants, live foods, and frozen foods within the contiguous United States. Each of these categories is subject to its own $19.99 flat-rate shipping fee to cover the special packaging and/or expedited shipping costs required to ensure safe delivery. Orders with 12+ live plants ship free!
Learn More About Shipping
Return any new and unused item within 60 days for a full refund. Having difficulty with a product? Contact us to speak with an aquarium expert. If you need a replacement, fill out this form.
A small segment of the 180+ brands we carry require that customers contact them directly if/when problems arise. You can view the full list of those brands and get their contact info here.
Marine Depot is an authorized reseller for every product we carry. That means when you buy aquarium supplies from us, your products are not only backed by our own 60-day return policy, they also carry full factory warranties, where applicable. Some items have a 1-year warranty, others have limited lifetime warranties. Warranty coverage varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, so please read the product description of the item(s) you are considering thoroughly for details or contact us if you have warranty questions.
Learn More About Returns
Rack up reward points to earn discounts on future purchases! You can earn reward points by creating an account, writing reviews, referring friends, subscribing to our newsletter, buying products, and more!
- Earn 5 reward points for every $1 you spend to get 5% cash back
- Earn 1 reward point for every $1 you spend to get 1% cash back
AquaIllumination, CoralVue, Digital Aquatics, EcoTech Marine, IceCap, Innovative Marine, Kessil, Korallen-Zucht, Maxspect, Nano Box, Neptune Systems, NYOS, Oceanbox Designs, Pax Bellum, Red Sea, Reef Glass, Reef Octopus, Somatic, and Vertex Aquaristik
You can also get bonus reward points by purchasing select items during special sales and promotions.
Learn More About Rewards