Salifert KH/Alkalinity Profi-Test
- Calcium is not the only substance needed to form the skeletal material of corals and allow calcareous algae to grow. Carbonate and bicarbonate are also needed and these two substances can have a major effect on stabilizing or buffering pH levels in the aquarium in the correct range of 8.1 to 8.4.
- The total carbonate and bicarbonate concentration is also called alkalinity or carbonate hardness and for a stable system the alkalinity should not fluctuate by more than 5% from the optimum level of approx. 2.8 meq/L i.e. a maximum fluctuation of 0.14 meq/L.
- The Salifert test is sensitive enough to detect small changes in levels of alkalinity, measuring in steps of 0.1 meq/L and demonstrating a very sharp color change.
- Sufficient for 100 to 200 tests.
- The Salifert KH + pH buffer additive makes correction of the alkalinity or carbonate hardness simple and does not upset the pH of the system
- Can be used for marine water, frewshwater and garden pond water
The KH/Alkalinity reageant contains a dye. Avoid spilling the dye on fabric and other materials since they may become stained. Keep out of reach of children. Not for consumption.
**Variations of this product can be found in many online stores. The version we carry is of the highest quality. Although this item is eligible for price matching under our Low Price Guarantee, please be certain the product you want to price match is the same make and model.
- Add with the 5 ml syringe 4 ml of water in the test vial. For a lower resolution and more tests per kit add 2 instead of 4 ml.
- Shake the KH-Ind dropping bottle a few times and add 2 drops in the test vial (1 drop for the low resolution mode).
- Put the plastic tip firmly on the 1 ml syringe. And draw into the syringe the KH reagent (ensure that the end of the plastic tip is constantly submersed in the KH reagent) till the lower end of the black part of the piston is exactly at the 1.00 ml mark. There will be some air present just below the piston. This is the air which was present between the end of the plastic tip and the piston. This will not influence the test result.
- Add dropwise with the 1 ml syringe the KH reagent to the water in the test tube. Swirl after each drop a second or two. Continue with this until the color changes from blue/green to orange-red or pink color (whichever color is observed first).
- Hold the syringe with the tip facing upward and read the position of the, now the upper end, of the black part of the piston. The syringe has graduations of 0.01 ml. Read the KH or alkalinity value from the table or calculate as follows.
KH in dKH = (1 - reading in step 5) x 16
Alk in meq/L = (1 - reading in step 5) x 5.71
If you have chosen for the lower resolution multiply the calculated result by 2.
Natural sea water has a KH of 8 dKH or alkalinity of 2.9 meq/L
KH and alkalinity are increased safely with Salifert`sKH + pH Buffer.
Product Manuals & Documentation
Salifert is a Holland base company that produces top of the line test kits as well as tank additives and foods for marine and reef aquariums.
30 days from date of purchase
We ship 99% of the products we carry for free within the contiguous United States using a mix of economy methods including USPS First Class Mail, SurePost and UPS Ground. Your order will arrive in 5-7 business days.
Over 90% of our members receive their orders within 2 business using UPS Ground. Upgrade from free economy shipping to UPS Ground for only $4.99—or spend $199 and we’ll upgrade you automatically!
Expediated shipping services are available for most products if you are in a hurry. Get guaranteed delivery in 2 business days, 1 business day, or next day by 10:30 am. Costs vary by location.
Same-day shipping is available Monday-Friday for most products—place your order by 10 am PST. Pre-ordered and back-ordered items do not qualify, nor do drop-shipped, live, or frozen shipments.
Learn More About Shipping
Return any new and unused item within 60 days for a full refund. Having difficulty with a product? Contact us to speak with an aquarium expert. If you need a replacement, fill out this form.
A small segment of the 180+ brands we carry require that customers contact them directly if/when problems arise. You can view the full list of those brands and get their contact info here.
Marine Depot is an authorized reseller for every product we carry. That means when you buy aquarium supplies from us, your products are not only backed by our own 60-day return policy, they also carry full factory warranties, where applicable. Some items have a 1-year warranty, others have limited lifetime warranties. Warranty coverage varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, so please read the product description of the item(s) you are considering thoroughly for details or contact us if you have warranty questions.
Learn More About Returns
Rack up reward points to earn discounts on future purchases! You can earn reward points by creating an account, writing reviews, referring friends, subscribing to our newsletter, buying products, and more!
- Most Products
Earn 5 reward points for every $1 you spend to get 5% cash back
- Marine Depot, AquaMaxx, Accel Aquatics, and Korallin
Earn 6 reward points for every $1 you spend to get 6% cash back
- EcoTech Marine, NYOS, and Aqua Illumination
Earn 1 reward point for every $1 you spend to get 1% cash back
You can also get bonus reward points by purchasing select items during special sales and promotions.
Learn More About Rewards