Salicylate test measures ammonia levels in both fresh & saltwater aquariums. Ammonia, the #1 killer of tropical fish, is continually produced in the aquarium from fish waste & uneaten fish food. Tests ammonia levels from 0 to 8 ppm. Test kit of 110 tests.
Why test for Ammonia?
Tropical fish continually release ammonia (NH3) directly into the aquarium through their gills, urine, and solid waste. Uneaten food and other decaying organic matter also add ammonia to the water. A natural mechanism exists that controls ammonia in the aquarium – the biological filter. It is made up of nitrifying bacteria, which live in the gravel bed. However, as with any natural process, imbalances can occur. Testing for the presence of toxic ammonia is essential, so that once detected, steps can be taken to remove it. Otherwise, ammonia in the aquarium will damage gill membranes, and prevent fish from carrying on normal respiration. High levels of ammonia quickly lead to fish death. Even trace amounts stress fish, suppressing their immune system and thereby increasing the likelihood of disease outbreaks and subsequent fish loss.
This salicylate based ammonia test kit reads the total ammonia level in parts per million (ppm) which are equivalent to milligrams per Liter (mg/L) from 0 ppm to 8.0 ppm (mg/L), in either fresh or saltwater aquariums. Thus, there are two Ammonia Test Color Charts — one for freshwater aquariums, and one for saltwater aquariums — so be sure to use the correct chart for your type of aquarium when interpreting test results. The Freshwater Ammonia Test Color Chart is the appropriate chart to use for testing freshwater aquariums to which salt has been added.
Directions for Testing Ammonia Levels
What the Test Results Mean:
- Read thoroughly before testing. Do not allow Test Solutions to get into aquarium.
- To remove childproof safety cap: With one hand, push red tab left with thumb while unscrewing cap with free hand.
- Fill a clean test tube with 5 ml of water to be tested (to the line on the tube).
- Add 8 drops from Ammonia Test Solution Bottle #1, holding the dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to assure uniformity of drops added to the water sample.
- Add 8 drops from Ammonia Test Solution Bottle #2, holding the dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to assure uniformity of drops added to the water sample.
- Cap the test tube and shake vigorously for 5 seconds. Do not hold finger over the open end of the tube, as this may affect the test results.
- Wait 5 minutes for the color to develop.
- Read the test results by matching the test solution against the Ammonia Test Color Chart. The tube should be viewed against the white area beside the color chart. Color comparisons are best made in a well-lit area. The closest match indicates the ppm (mg/L) of ammonia in the water sample. Rinse the test tube with clean water after each use.
In a new freshwater or saltwater aquarium, the ammonia level may surge to 6 ppm (mg/L) or more, and then fall rapidly as the biological filter becomes established. The ammonia will be converted to nitrite (also toxic), then to nitrate. This process may take several weeks. Use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals STRESS ZYME® to speed up the development of the biological filter. In an established aquarium, the ammonia level should always remain at 0 ppm (mg/L). The presence of ammonia indicates possible over-feeding, too many fish, or inadequate biological filtration.
The ammonia level is not an indication of the nitrite level; nitrite is another toxic waste material which must be tested separately.
Monitoring Ammonia Levels:
Regular testing is necessary to make sure the ammonia level is safe. Aquarium water should be tested for ammonia every other day when the aquarium is first set up, and once a week after the biological filter has been established (in about 4 to 6 weeks).
Detoxifying Ammonia Using AMMO-LOCK® in Freshwater and Saltwater Aquariums:
To detoxify ammonia, use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals AMMO-LOCK to instantly lock up ammonia. AMMO-LOCK does not remove ammonia, it simply converts toxic ammonia to a non-toxic form. Ammonia test kits will still test positive for ammonia, even though it is non-toxic. The biological filter will then consume the non-toxic ammonia, converting it to nitrite and then to nitrate.
Filtering Method to Remove Ammonia in Freshwater Aquariums:
Filter aquarium water with Aquarium Pharmaceuticals AMMO-CARB® or AMMO-CHIPS® to remove ammonia and improve water quality.
Changing 25% of the aquarium water will reduce the ammonia level. In an emergency, a daily water change may be required over several days. Be sure to use a water conditioner like Stress Coat® or AMMO-LOCK, when adding tap water back into the aquarium.
- HARMFUL & CORROSIVE C
- Bottle #2 contains sodium hydroxide and sodium hypochlorite
- Causes severe burns
- Contact with acids liberates toxic gas
- Toxic by inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed
- Danger of cumulative effects
- Keep locked up and out of the reach of children
- Keep away from food, drink and animal feeding stuffs
- In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water (at least 15 minutes) and seek medical advice immediately. If contact lenses are present, remove after 5 minutes and continue rinsing
- After contact with skin, wash immediately with plenty of water. Remove contaminated clothing
- Wear suitable gloves and eye/face protection
- In case of accident or if you feel unwell, seek medical advice immediately (show label where possible)
- Do not mix with acidic materials
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarium Supplies
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API) has been helping people take good care of ornamental fish for over 40 years. Their research and development scientists have advanced the care of fish with all-natural medications, stable bacteria for biological filtration, one-bottle test kits, consumer-friendly dosing caps and much more. They’ve received over 25 global patents for their breakthrough innovations in the aquatics industry. And they continue to look for ways to improve the fishkeeping experience for hobbyists. Research. Experience. Dedication to scientific, quality treatment for healthy fish. It’s what makes API the first choice of aquarium owners. API manufactures and sells hundreds of products across many different product categories, including aquarium and pond treatments, aquarium equipment, aquariums and fish nutrition.
Most orders under $29 ship for only $2.99 using a mix of economy shipping methods including UPS Ground, USPS First Class, and/or SurePost. Your order will be delivered in up to 7 business days after it ships out.
We ship 99% of the products we carry for free within the contiguous United States using a mix of economy methods including USPS First Class Mail, SurePost and UPS Ground. Your order will arrive in up to 7 business days. Just spend $29 or more!
Over 90% of shoppers receive their orders within 1-2 business days. Upgrade from free economy shipping to faster shipping for only $2.99—or spend $250 and we'll upgrade you automatically!
Expedited shipping services are available for most products if you are in a hurry. Get guaranteed delivery in 2 business days, 1 business day, or next day by 10:30 am. Costs vary by location.
Same-day shipping is available Monday-Friday for most products—place your order by 10:30 am PST. Pre-ordered and back-ordered items do not qualify, nor do drop-shipped, live, or frozen shipments.
We ship live plants, live foods, and frozen foods within the contiguous United States. Each of these categories is subject to its own $19.99 flat-rate shipping fee to cover the special packaging and/or expedited shipping costs required to ensure safe delivery. Orders with 12+ live plants ship free!
Learn More About Shipping
Return any new and unused item within 60 days for a full refund. Having difficulty with a product? Contact us to speak with an aquarium expert. If you need a replacement, fill out this form.
A small segment of the 180+ brands we carry require that customers contact them directly if/when problems arise. You can view the full list of those brands and get their contact info here.
We are unable to accept returns of Digital Aquatics, Neptune Systems, Vertex Aquaristik, Aqua Illumination (AI), EcoTech Marine, GHL, or Seneye products once the manufacturer's packaging seals have been broken.
Marine Depot is an authorized reseller for every product we carry. That means when you buy aquarium supplies from us, your products are not only backed by our own 60-day return policy, they also carry full factory warranties, where applicable. Some items have a 1-year warranty, others have limited lifetime warranties. Warranty coverage varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, so please read the product description of the item(s) you are considering thoroughly for details or contact us if you have warranty questions.
Learn More About Returns
Rack up reward points to earn discounts on future purchases! You can earn reward points by creating an account, writing reviews, referring friends, subscribing to our newsletter, buying products, and more!
- Earn 5 reward points for every $1 you spend to get 5% cash back
- Earn 1 reward point for every $1 you spend to get 1% cash back
Abyzz, American Marine, AquaIllumination, AutoAqua, CoralVue, Digital Aquatics, EcoTech Marine, Giesemann, GHL, Hanna Instruments, Hydor, IceCap, Innovative Marine, Iwaki, Kamoer, Kessil, Klir, Korallen-Zucht, Maxspect, Mur-lok, Nano Box, Neptune Systems, NYOS, Oceanbox Designs, Pax Bellum, Radium, Red Sea, Reef Glass, Reef Octopus, Seneye, Somatic, Tunze, Vertex Aquaristik, and Waterbox Aquariums
You can also get bonus reward points by purchasing select items during special sales and promotions.
Learn More About Rewards