Measures nitrate levels in both fresh & saltwater aquariums. Tests nitrate levels from 0 to 160 ppm. 90 tests per kit.
Freshwater/Saltwater Nitrate Test Instructions:
Why Test For Nitrate?
Nitrate (NO3-) is produced in the aquarium by the biological filter. Beneficial bacteria in the biological filter convert toxic ammonia and nitrite into nitrate. A high nitrate level indicates a build-up of fish waste and organic compounds, resulting in poor water quality and contributing to the likelihood of fish disease. Excessive nitrate also provides a nitrogen source that can stimulate algal blooms. In the opinion of many aquarists, maintaining a low nitrate level improves the health of fish and invertebrates.
This test kit reads total nitrate (NO3-) level in parts per million (ppm) which are equivalent to milligrams per liter (mg/L) from 0 ppm to 160 ppm, in either fresh or saltwater aquariums. This kit includes two Nitrate Test Color Charts — one for freshwater aquariums, and one for saltwater aquariums — so be sure to use the correct chart for your type of aquarium when interpreting test results. The Freshwater Nitrate Test Color Chart is the appropriate chart to use for testing freshwater aquariums to which salt has been added. This test kit measures nitrate as nitrate ion or “total nitrate.” Other nitrate test kits that measure “nitrate-nitrogen” (NO3-N) will give readings 4.4 times LESS than this test kit.
Directions for Testing Nitrate:
What The Test Results Mean:
- Read thoroughly before testing. Do not allow Test Solutions to get into aquarium.
- To remove childproof safety cap: With one hand, push red tab left with thumb while unscrewing cap with free hand.
- Fill a clean test tube with 5 ml of water to be tested (to the line on the tube).
- Add 10 drops from Nitrate Test Solution Bottle # 1, holding dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to assure uniformity of drops added to the water sample.
- Cap the test tube and invert tube several times to mix solution. Do not hold finger over the open end of the tube, as this may affect test results.
- Vigorously shake the Nitrate Test Solution Bottle # 2 for at least 30 seconds. This step is extremely important to insure accuracy of test results.
- Now add 10 drops from Nitrate Test Solution Bottle #2, holding dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to assure uniformity of drops to the water sample.
- Cap the test tube and shake vigorously for one minute. This step is extremely important to insure accuracy of test results.
- Wait five minutes for the color to develop.
- Read the test results by matching the color of the solution against those on the Nitrate Test Color Chart. The tube should be viewed against the white area beside the color chart. Color comparisons are best made in a well-lit area. The closest match indicates the ppm (mg/L) of nitrate in the water sample. Rinse the test tube with clean water after each use.
In new freshwater and saltwater aquariums the nitrate level will gradually climb as the biological filter becomes established. A nitrate level of 40 ppm (mg/L) or less is recommended for freshwater aquariums. Many marine aquarists prefer to keep nitrate levels as low as possible, especially when keeping invertebrates.
Monitoring Nitrate Levels:
Regular testing for nitrate is an essential part of routine aquarium maintenance. Aquarium water should be tested for nitrate once a week to make sure the nitrate does not reach an undesirable level.
Reducing Nitrate in the Aquarium:
Use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Nitra-Zorb™ to remove nitrate from freshwater aquariums. Nitra-Zorb is a rechargeable filtration material that removes nitrate from freshwater. Making partial water changes can also help reduce the nitrate level, especially if the initial nitrate level is very high. However, because many tap water supplies contain nitrate, it can be difficult to lower nitrate levels by this method. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Purifier will remove all pollutants, including nitrate, from tap water, making water changes effective. The Tap Water Purifier makes any tap water perfect aquarium water.
Partial water changes are the easiest way to lower the nitrate in a saltwater aquarium. Keep in mind, however, that the biological filter constantly produces nitrate. Also, because many tap water supplies contain nitrate, it can be difficult to lower nitrate levels by this method. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Purifier will remove all pollutants, including nitrate, from the tap water— making water changes effective. The Tap Water Purifier makes any tap water perfect aquarium water.
- HARMFUL Xn & CORROSIVE C
- Bottle #1 contains 41% Hydrochloric acid
- Causes burns
- Irritating to respiratory system
- Harmful if swallowed
- Keep locked up and out of the reach of children
- In case of contact with eyes or skin, rinse immediately with plenty of water (at least 15 minutes) and seek medical advice immediately
- Remove contaminated clothing
- Wear suitable gloves and eye/face protection
- In case of accident or if you feel unwell, seek medical advice immediately (show label where possible).
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarium Supplies
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API) has been helping people take good care of ornamental fish for over 40 years. Their research and development scientists have advanced the care of fish with all-natural medications, stable bacteria for biological filtration, one-bottle test kits, consumer-friendly dosing caps and much more. They’ve received over 25 global patents for their breakthrough innovations in the aquatics industry. And they continue to look for ways to improve the fishkeeping experience for hobbyists. Research. Experience. Dedication to scientific, quality treatment for healthy fish. It’s what makes API the first choice of aquarium owners. API manufactures and sells hundreds of products across many different product categories, including aquarium and pond treatments, aquarium equipment, aquariums and fish nutrition.
Most orders under $39 ship for only $5.99 using a mix of economy shipping methods including UPS Ground, USPS First Class, and/or SurePost. Your order will be delivered in up to 7 business days after it ships out.
We ship 99% of the products we carry for free within the contiguous United States using a mix of economy methods including USPS First Class Mail, SurePost and UPS Ground. Your order will arrive in up to 7 business days. Just spend $39 or more!
Over 90% of shoppers receive their orders within 1-2 business days. Upgrade from free economy shipping to faster shipping for only $5.99—or spend $250 and we'll upgrade you automatically!
Expedited shipping services are available for most products if you are in a hurry. Get guaranteed delivery in 2 business days, 1 business day, or next day by 10:30 am. Costs vary by location.
Same-day shipping is available Monday-Friday for most products—place your order by 10:30 am PST. Pre-ordered and back-ordered items do not qualify, nor do drop-shipped, live, or frozen shipments.
We ship live plants, live foods, and frozen foods within the contiguous United States. Each of these categories is subject to its own $19.99 flat-rate shipping fee to cover the special packaging and/or expedited shipping costs required to ensure safe delivery. Orders with 12+ live plants ship free!
Learn More About Shipping
Return any new and unused item within 60 days for a full refund. Having difficulty with a product? Contact us to speak with an aquarium expert. If you need a replacement, fill out this form.
A small segment of the 180+ brands we carry require that customers contact them directly if/when problems arise. You can view the full list of those brands and get their contact info here.
We are unable to accept returns of Digital Aquatics, Neptune Systems, Vertex Aquaristik, Aqua Illumination (AI), EcoTech Marine, GHL, or Seneye products once the manufacturer's packaging seals have been broken.
Marine Depot is an authorized reseller for every product we carry. That means when you buy aquarium supplies from us, your products are not only backed by our own 60-day return policy, they also carry full factory warranties, where applicable. Some items have a 1-year warranty, others have limited lifetime warranties. Warranty coverage varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, so please read the product description of the item(s) you are considering thoroughly for details or contact us if you have warranty questions.
Learn More About Returns
Rack up reward points to earn discounts on future purchases! You can earn reward points by creating an account, writing reviews, referring friends, subscribing to our newsletter, buying products, and more!
- Earn 5 reward points for every $1 you spend to get 5% cash back
- Earn 1 reward point for every $1 you spend to get 1% cash back
Abyzz, American Marine, AquaIllumination, AutoAqua, CoralVue, Digital Aquatics, EcoTech Marine, Giesemann, GHL, Hanna Instruments, Hydor, IceCap, Innovative Marine, Iwaki, Kamoer, Kessil, Klir, Korallen-Zucht, Maxspect, Mur-lok, Nano Box, Neptune Systems, NYOS, Oceanbox Designs, Pax Bellum, Radium, Red Sea, Reef Glass, Reef Octopus, Seneye, Somatic, Tunze, Vertex Aquaristik, and Waterbox Aquariums
You can also get bonus reward points by purchasing select items during special sales and promotions.
Learn More About Rewards