Test reads 0 to 10 mg/ or parts per million (ppm) of phosphate. Helps to decrease the likelyhood og having unsightly algae and green water blooms.Test kit of 150 tests.
Why test for Phosphate?
Phosphate enters the aquarium from fish and invertebrate waste and decaying organic matter, such as dead algae and uneaten fish food. Water treatment facilities may add phosphate to tap water to prevent pipe corrosion and reduce concentrations of heavy metals in drinking water.
Unnecessary phosphate may cause an undesirable cloud or tint in aquarium water. In saltwater aquariums, phosphate precipitates dissolved calcium (Ca2+) and magnesium (Mg2+) ions, inhibiting the growth of hard corals and other reef-building organisms.
The Phosphate Test Kit reads the total phosphate level in parts per million (ppm), which are equivalent to milligrams per liter (mg/L) from 0 ppm (mg/L) to 10.0 ppm (mg/L), in either freshwater or saltwater aquariums. There are two Phosphate Test Color Charts – one for freshwater aquariums, and one for saltwater aquariums – so be sure to use the correct chart for your type of aquarium when interpreting test results. The Freshwater Phosphate Test Color Chart is the appropriate chart to use for testing freshwater aquariums to which salt has been added or for testing a pond.
Directions for Testing Phosphate Levels
What the Test Results Mean:
- Read thoroughly before testing. Do not allow test solutions to get into aquarium.
- To remove childproof safety cap: With one hand, push red tab left with thumb while unscrewing cap with free hand.
- Fill the test tube with 5ml of water to be tested (to the line on the tube).
- Add 6 drops from Phosphate Test Solution Bottle #1 to the test tube, holding the dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to assure uniformity of drops added to the water sample.
- Cap and shake the test tube vigorously for 5 seconds.
- Add 6 drops from Phosphate Test Solution Bottle #2 to the test tube, holding the dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to assure uniformity of drops added to the water sample. Bottle #2 has a very thick solution and may require increased pressure while squeezing to release drops.
- Cap and shake the test tube vigorously for 5 seconds.
- Wait 3 minutes for full color to develop.
- After waiting 3 minutes. read the test results by matching the test solution against the appropriate Phosphate Test Color Chart. The tube should be viewed against the white area beside the color chart. Color comparisons are best made in a well-lit area. The closest match indicates the ppm (mg/L) of total phosphate (PO3–4) in the water sample. Rinse the test tube with clean water after each use.
Ideally, the phosphate level should be zero in saltwater aquariums and freshwater aquariums or ponds, including those containing live plants. The phosphate level in a new aquarium will depend on the purity of the water used to fill the aquarium. Phosphate level in tap water can vary daily depending on the treatment process used. Phosphate tends to accumulate in established aquariums.
Reducing Phosphate using Phos-Zorb™:
To continually remove phosphate from the aquarium, use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Phos-Zorb. Phos-Zorb is a special filtration resin that removes phosphate and silicate ions from freshwater and saltwater aquariums.
Reducing Phosphate by Water Changes:
To quickly reduce phosphate levels, perform a partial water change. Remove any dirt and uneaten fish food from the bottom of the aquarium and change 25% to 50% of the water, depending on the phosphate concentration. To be sure the water source does not contain phosphate, use the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter™ to remove all unwanted phosphate before adding water to your aquarium.
- Bottle #1:
- Contains sulfuric acid.
- Causes severe burns.
- Keep locked up and out of reach of children.
- In case of contact with eyes, rinse with plenty of water for 15 minutes and seek medical advice. Remove contact lens, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing.
- If swallowed, contact a physician or call a Poison Control Center immediately.
- Never add water to this product.
- In case of accident or if you feel unwell, seek medical advice immediately (show label where possible).
- Bottle #2
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Eye contact: gently flush with water for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove contact lens, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing.
- Skin contact: wash thoroughly with soap and water.
- If swallowed, contact a physician or Poison Control Center immediately.
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarium Supplies
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API) has been helping people take good care of ornamental fish for over 40 years. Their research and development scientists have advanced the care of fish with all-natural medications, stable bacteria for biological filtration, one-bottle test kits, consumer-friendly dosing caps and much more. They’ve received over 25 global patents for their breakthrough innovations in the aquatics industry. And they continue to look for ways to improve the fishkeeping experience for hobbyists. Research. Experience. Dedication to scientific, quality treatment for healthy fish. It’s what makes API the first choice of aquarium owners. API manufactures and sells hundreds of products across many different product categories, including aquarium and pond treatments, aquarium equipment, aquariums and fish nutrition.
Most orders under $39 ship for only $5.99 using a mix of economy shipping methods including UPS Ground, USPS First Class, and/or SurePost. Your order will be delivered in up to 7 business days after it ships out.
We ship 99% of the products we carry for free within the contiguous United States using a mix of economy methods including USPS First Class Mail, SurePost and UPS Ground. Your order will arrive in up to 7 business days. Just spend $39 or more!
Over 90% of shoppers receive their orders within 1-2 business days. Upgrade from free economy shipping to faster shipping for only $5.99—or spend $250 and we'll upgrade you automatically!
Expedited shipping services are available for most products if you are in a hurry. Get guaranteed delivery in 2 business days, 1 business day, or next day by 10:30 am. Costs vary by location.
Same-day shipping is available Monday-Friday for most products—place your order by 10:30 am PST. Pre-ordered and back-ordered items do not qualify, nor do drop-shipped, live, or frozen shipments.
We ship live plants, live foods, and frozen foods within the contiguous United States. Each of these categories is subject to its own $19.99 flat-rate shipping fee to cover the special packaging and/or expedited shipping costs required to ensure safe delivery. Orders with 12+ live plants ship free!
Learn More About Shipping
Return any new and unused item within 60 days for a full refund. Having difficulty with a product? Contact us to speak with an aquarium expert. If you need a replacement, fill out this form.
A small segment of the 180+ brands we carry require that customers contact them directly if/when problems arise. You can view the full list of those brands and get their contact info here.
We are unable to accept returns of Digital Aquatics, Neptune Systems, Vertex Aquaristik, Aqua Illumination (AI), EcoTech Marine, GHL, or Seneye products once the manufacturer's packaging seals have been broken.
Marine Depot is an authorized reseller for every product we carry. That means when you buy aquarium supplies from us, your products are not only backed by our own 60-day return policy, they also carry full factory warranties, where applicable. Some items have a 1-year warranty, others have limited lifetime warranties. Warranty coverage varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, so please read the product description of the item(s) you are considering thoroughly for details or contact us if you have warranty questions.
Learn More About Returns
Rack up reward points to earn discounts on future purchases! You can earn reward points by creating an account, writing reviews, referring friends, subscribing to our newsletter, buying products, and more!
- Earn 5 reward points for every $1 you spend to get 5% cash back
- Earn 1 reward point for every $1 you spend to get 1% cash back
Abyzz, American Marine, AquaIllumination, AutoAqua, CoralVue, Digital Aquatics, EcoTech Marine, Giesemann, GHL, Hanna Instruments, Hydor, IceCap, Innovative Marine, Iwaki, Kamoer, Kessil, Klir, Korallen-Zucht, Maxspect, Mur-lok, Nano Box, Neptune Systems, NYOS, Oceanbox Designs, Pax Bellum, Radium, Red Sea, Reef Glass, Reef Octopus, Seneye, Somatic, Tunze, Vertex Aquaristik, and Waterbox Aquariums
You can also get bonus reward points by purchasing select items during special sales and promotions.
Learn More About Rewards