Caridina GH+ establishes mineral balance in purified (RO/DI) and soft water for shrimp & freshwater aquaria.
Shrimp, other invertebrates, and aquatic plants need certain elements to be present in the water. These elements aid in osmotic balance and ensure proper biochemical function, contributing to overall long-term health and survival. The Caridina GH+ formula is compiled from up-to-date aquatic research with these essential elements which include:
- Calcium which is required for blood clotting, bone formation, and several metabolic processes in fish, and is required for cell wall stability/permeability and enzymatic processes in plants.
- Potassium and Sodium are of extreme importance to aquatic animals, as they are required for proper neurological and muscular functioning. Potassium is also required for protein synthesis, water and charge balance, and enzyme activation in plants.
- Magnesium is a component of chlorophyll and is utilized in enzyme activation.
- Sulfur is a component of proteins and the coenzymes that are involved with nutrient utilization and growth. Silicon, as silica, is an important component of plant cells, helping increase their strength and improving root growth, and acts as a buffer against pH shift.
Note that TDS and GH are not measuring the same ionic concentrations, and therefore they do not necessarily have a direct conversion; GH is related to the sum of divalent cations (predominantly calcium and magnesium) in solution, whereas TDS (total dissolved solids) measures the concentration of conductive ions in solution. This information is provided for reference purposes only. In general, aquatic habitats located in forested regions have a relatively-low concentration of dissolved inorganic substances, hence the general hardness and TDS are also low. Caridina GH+ is formulated to adjust water chemistry in aquaria housing fishes and plants indigenous to nearly every aquatic habitat, however it is recommended that Rift Lake Chemie be used to remineralize purified water meant for use in aquaria housing fishes from the East African Rift Lakes, as it has been formulated specifically for that purpose.
- Establishes an optimal mineral balance in water that has been purified (e.g. reverse osmosis, deionization, etc.) or is exceedingly-soft (e.g. well water in forested regions) for all freshwater shrimp aquaria, as well as for freshwater biotope aquaria housing fishes indigenous to forested and/or riverine habitats.
- Provides a beneficial ratio of potassium, calcium, magnesium, and sodium, elements which are vital to the overall health and osmoregulation of fishes, invertebrates, and many aquatic plants.
- May be used to establish water parameters conducive to the husbandry of freshwater fishes, plants, and invertebrates in aquaria filled with purified water, to replenish depleted elemental concentrations in aquaria that rarely receive a water change, and to re-establish beneficial mineral concentrations in aquaria following large water changes.
- Formulated utilizing extensive data on the ionic composition of river water from several tropical forested regions of great significance to aquarium husbandry.
Instructions & Guidelines
- Consult a reference book listing the water chemistry requirements of the shrimp, fishes and/or plants being maintained to determine the optimal range of GH and/or TDS
- Remember to adjust pH and temperature of the water prior to adding it into an aquarium housing live organisms
- This product is designed for Caridina (Bee) shrimp and does not add any KH! If your aquarium requires buffering or KH, you will need to add it separately using Brightwell Florin Delta KH+ or use NeoTiger KH+/GH+ instead of this product
- Determine GH and/or TDS in the aquarium prior to treating purified water with Caridina GH+, then follow directions below accordingly
- Shake bottle well before each use
- Start with purified (RO/DI) water
- To increase GH/TDS in a pre-established aquarium: Dose up to 4 ml (2 pumps if equipped with a pump) Caridina GH+ per 10 US-gallons per hour until desired GH/TDS value is attained
- Changes to water chemistry, regardless of the parameter being adjusted, should always be done gradually rather than rapidly
- When preparing water for a water change:
- For every 20 US-gallons of reverse osmosis or deionized water to be changed, add 2 ml (~1 pump) Caridina GH+ to purified water or tap water and mix thoroughly to raise the GH by 1 degree
- When preparing water for a new aquarium set up:
- Always adjust the water chemistry prior to adding live organisms to the aquarium.
- When setting up a planted aquarium and placing the plants into the substrate:
- Prior to completely filling the aquarium, adjust the GH, KH, pH, and temperature of the water in a separate vessel (e.g. in a large, clean pail or vat) before adding it to the aquarium. Do not add a large volume of purified water to the aquarium and then attempt to adjust the water chemistry afterwards, as this will be stressful to the inhabitants. Use the Advanced Instructions to calculate the amount of Caridina GH+ that will be required to bring about the desired change in GH/TDS to the volume of water to be used
- Each ml of Caridina GH+ will increase the GH in 10 liters or 2.5 US-gallons of water by 1 dGH
- Each pump is 2 ml
- To obtain as specific GH, divide the desired change in GH by 2.5 then multiply this number by the net volume of water (in gallons) in the aquarium. Example: if the GH in 20 US-gallons is to be increased by 2 dGH, then add 16 ml Caridina GH+ (2 ÷ 2.5 = 0.8 ml per gallon; 0.8 ml per gallon x 20 gallons = 16 ml)
Shrimp need iodine to molt and for overall health. Brightwell recommends that all aquariums housing freshwater shrimp use Florin-I.
Caution: May cause eye or skin irritation. If in eyes, flush with water for 15 minutes, get medical attention. If on skin, wash thoroughly with water. Keep out of reach of children. Not for human consumption.
Brightwell Aquatics Aquarium Supplies
The goal of Brightwell Aquatics is to provide the absolute highest quality, scientifically-sound products and customer service of any aquarium water care manufacturer, and to do it all in a straight-forward and honorable fashion. All Brightwell products are formulated by marine scientists with a passion for the aquarium hobby. They utilize the highest purity ingredients in concentrations that provide the most use to hobbyists. Nearly all Brightwell Aquatics products are over 99.9% pure. The usage guidelines of Brightwell Aquatics products are written in plain language but the company is always available to answer consumer questions. All products are lot numbered for quality control and customer service.