Regal 300INT Protein Skimmer with VarioS-6S Controllable Pump - Reef Octopus
The new and innovative Reef Octopus Regal 300-INT in-sump protein skimmer supplies powerful filtration for aquariums where sump space is not limited. The Reef Octopus Regal 300-INT is constructed of high-quality cast acrylic that disassembles completely for cleaning. Its hybrid conical body naturally stabilizes and concentrates the organic rich foam as it rises.
This Regal skimmer is equipped with a new generation Reef Octopus controllable DC VarioS-6S pinwheel skimmer pump which are the latest in variable speed flow technology and allows for refined control, enhanced performance and efficiency.The vast majority of skimmer pumps available to hobbyist are alternating current "AC" pumps (the type of power that comes out of your wall outlet). Direct current (DC) pumps have several key advantages over traditional AC pumps. Most notably, you can control the rotational speed of the motor, thus electronically control air and water flow rates into the skimmer. Now you can have the skimmer process more, or, less water just by the push of a button
In addition to allowing the pump to run at 5 different speeds, the new VarioS Controller takes the pump to a new level featuring:
- A float switch connection, which allows you to connect a float switch (included in the box) to the controller. This is an added security feature that allows you to shut off the skimmer pump when your waste collector is full or shut off your water pump when your sump water has reached a high or low level. In all, you don’t need another module or controller to add a float switch to your system.
- Two different pause/feed modes that will shut off the pump for either 15 or 60 minute intervals. These come handy when you are feeding the tank or conducting regular maintenance such as a water change.
- And the best feature of the VarioS controller a 0-10v input which will allow a 3rd party controller such as Neptune System’s APEX or Reef Angel to take over the pump and tell it what to do. In this mode, the new VarioS controller becomes an interface between the system controller and the pump allowing you to create intricate programs using your system controller native language. This is unprecedented controllability on a skimmer or water pump. In essence, you can use your system controller as your DC pump controller!
The VarioS pump features a true slow startup where the pump slowly ramps up from zero RPM to the full preset speed over a period of approximately 10 seconds.
The pump and controller are connected via a waterproof 3-conductor union. The detachable controller will allow for a simple waterproof union. The volute can rotate to change the pump`s output orientation in 90 degree intervals, meaning users can output water vertically (up or down) as well as horizontally.
- Safe and efficient 36V power
- Solid cast acrylic construction
- High performance VarioS-6S Controllable Pinwheel Pump
- 5 controllable energy saving power settings
- Detachable controller with waterproof union
- Safety float switch
- 0-10v input for 3rd party controller
- Integrated memory
- Two different pause/feed modes that will shut off the pump for either 15 or 60 minute intervals.
- Footprint: 18" x 12.2"
- Reaction chamber: 12"
- Neck size: 7"
- Height: 25.4"
- Output size: 1.5"
- Recommended depth: 7 to 8.5"
- Powered by: Reef Octopus VarioS-6S Controllable Pinwheel Pump
- Power consumption: 35 to 70 watts
- Water draw: 528 gph
- Air draw: 1200 to 2400 lph
- For aquariums up to 700 gallons
April 17, 2020
Yes, I would recommend this.
Great Skimmer for reasonable price
Pros: Adjustability of the water/air intake; great quality materials
Cons: Nothing really
The adjustability and build quality of the materials are indicative of what a good skimmer this is. Also, the Varios pump is extremely reliable for a DC pump, so good all the way around.
Was this review helpful? 1 0
May 31, 2018
Yes, I would recommend this.
One of the TOP Protein Skimmers on the market today!
Pros: Float Switch build in the top cup, Upgraded accessories, VarioS Controlable dc pump
I own the REGAL 150 but I wanted to leave a review about how well these new reef octo skimmer perform..I have been a reef keeper for a few decades and I have gone through plenty of Skimmers in my time. I think my very first Protein Skimmer was a Aqua-medic, one of the first models that they come out with and i thought it was the coolest thing ever. I remember them hanging on the back. -Feeling old - LOL.. Anyhow, in my personal opinion , out of all of the skimmer I have EVER worked with this one runs the best and is build the best. My Last Skimmer was a SKIMZ Monzter Series 167 DC w/ a Quite Pro Pump and it was a very good skimmer but the Quite Pro pump kept breaking down on me so I switched over to a different MFG. Also, another Plus, about the Reef Octo 150INTL it's a pcs of cake to clean your VarioS pumps , especially if you don't go with the space saver. It's one union and thats about it to take my pump off and clean it every 2or 3 months... Plus what i Really like about these protein skimmers is that they all come withs FLOAT SWITCH's build in that connects with a BNC connector to your VarioS Controller which is super dope! Ones Reef Octopus brought on a 3rd party company to start making there pumps, they have now put them selves in a league of their own... It only takes about a week to dial it in unlike some others Manufactures out there on the market.. I give this one a Big Fat Thumbs Up !
Was this review helpful? 0 1