Fish, aquatic plants, and invertebrates require specific elements to be present in the water which aid in osmotic balance and ensure proper biochemical function, contributing to overall long-term health and survival. Remineraliz fulfills this requirement with a formulation based on data compiled from up-to-date aquatic research.
Calcium is required for blood clotting, bone formation, and several metabolic processes in fish, and is required for cell wall stability/permeability and enzymatic processes in plants.
Potassium and Sodium are of extreme importance to fishes, as they are required for proper neurological and muscular functioning. Potassium is also required for protein synthesis, water and charge balance, and enzyme activation in plants.
Magnesium is a component of chlorophyll and is utilized in enzyme activation.
Sulfur is a component of proteins and the coenzymes that are involved with nutrient utilization and growth.
Silicon, as silica, is an important component of plant cells, helping increase their strength and improving root growth, and acts as a buffer against pH shift.
Note that TDS and GH are not measuring the same ionic concentrations, and therefore they do not necessarily have a direct conversion; GH is related to the sum of divalent cations (predominantly calcium and magnesium) in solution, whereas TDS (total dissolved solids) measures the concentration of conductive substances in solution. This information is provided for reference purposes only. In general, aquatic habitats located in forested regions have a relatively-low concentration of dissolved inorganic substances, hence the general hardness and TDS are also low. Remineraliz is formulated to adjust water chemistry in aquaria housing fishes and plants indigenous to nearly every aquatic habitat, however it is recommended that Rift Lake Chemie be used to remineralize purified water meant for use in aquaria housing fishes from the East African Rift Lakes, as it has been formulated specifically for that purpose.
- Reconstitutes RO, deionized or distilled water for freshwater aquarium use
- Adds minerals that have been removed by tap water filtration systems
- Establishes optimal mineral balance in water such as RO, RO/DI, etc., or, exceedingly soft water for freshwater aquaria
- Provides potassium, calcium, magnesium, and sodium elements beneficial to the overall health of fish, invertebrates, and aquatic plants
- Can help establish water parameters conducive to the husbandry of freshwater fish, plants, invertebrates in purified water, replenish depleted elements, and re-establish beneficial mineral concentrations
Instructions and Guidelines:
Consult a reference book listing the water chemistry requirements of the fishes and/or plants being maintained to determine the optimal range of GH and/or TDS. Remember to adjust pH and temperature of the water prior to adding it into an aquarium housing live organisms.
Determine GH and/or TDS in the aquarium prior to treating purified water with Remineraliz, then follow directions below accordingly. Shake bottle well before each use.
- To increase GH/TDS in a pre-established aquarium: Dose up to 5 ml Remineraliz per 20 US-gallons per hour until desired GH/TDS value is attained. Changes to water chemistry, regardless of the parameter being adjusted, should always be done gradually rather than rapidly.
- When preparing water for a water change: For every 10 US-gallons of water to be changed, add 5 ml (~1 capful) Remineraliz to purified water or tap water and mix thoroughly. Assuming a starting GH and TDS of 0, this will result in an increase of ~3.0 dGH and ~86 ppm, respectively. When employed at this dosing rate, 500 ml treats 1,000 US-gallons (3,785 L).
- When preparing water for a new aquarium set up: Always adjust the water chemistry prior to adding live organisms to the aquarium. If setting up a planted aquarium and placing the plants into the substrate prior to completely filling the aquarium, adjust the GH, KH, pH, and temperature of the water in a separate vessel (e.g. in a large, clean pail or vat) before adding it to the aquarium. Do not add a large volume of purified water to the aquarium and then attempt to adjust the water chemistry afterwards, as this will be stressful to the inhabitants. Use the Advanced Instructions to calculate the amount of Remineraliz that will be required to bring about the desired change in GH/TDS to the volume of water to be used.
- Advanced Instructions: Each ml of Remineraliz will increase the GH and TDS in 1 US-gallon of water by 6 dGH and 173 ppm, respectively. To obtain a specific GH and/or TDS value, divide the desired change in GH by 6 (or if TDS is preferred, divide the desired change in TDS by 173), then multiply this number by the net volume of water (in gallons) in the aquarium. Example: if the GH in 20 US-gallons is to be increased by 4 dGH, then add 16 ml Remineraliz (4 ÷ 6 = 0.8 ml per gallon; 0.8 ml per gallon x 20 gallons = 16 ml).
- Caution: May cause eye or skin irritation. If in eyes, flush with water for 15 minutes, get medical attention. If on skin, wash thoroughly with water. Keep out of reach of children.
Ingredients: Balanced monovalent and multivalent cation mixture with appropriate anions and trace minerals, along with buffering compounds to replicate natural waters.
Brightwell Aquatics Aquarium Supplies
The goal of Brightwell Aquatics is to provide the absolute highest quality, scientifically-sound products and customer service of any aquarium water care manufacturer, and to do it all in a straight-forward and honorable fashion. All Brightwell products are formulated by marine scientists with a passion for the aquarium hobby. They utilize the highest purity ingredients in concentrations that provide the most use to hobbyists. Nearly all Brightwell Aquatics products are over 99.9% pure. The usage guidelines of Brightwell Aquatics products are written in plain language but the company is always available to answer consumer questions. All products are lot numbered for quality control and customer service.