Santa Monica Filtration HOG2 Hang-On-Glass Algae Scrubber
The HOG2 is a hang-on-glass algae scrubbing filtration system that can be used to reduce your glass cleaning and water changes while creating an environment for living micro-animals to grow inside the scrubber.
The HOG2 is the larger version of the standard HOG1 and HOG1x algae scrubbers. The HOG2 offers 4 LEDs and a much larger algae-attachment space to hold more growth between cleanings, and also stronger magnets to attach to thicker aquarium walls up to 5/8" (16mm) glass or acrylic. If your tank is larger than a nano, then you should consider this model or larger.
The HOG2 is ideal for tanks which have some nutrient or algae problems, but the rocks in the display are not yet fully covered in thick green hair algae. The HOG2 model is great for aquariums that have been running for a year or more and the display rocks have already filled with phosphate, and are thus starting to show algae on them. However, if the display is full of green hair algae and thus the nutrients measure zero in the water (because the algae on the rocks is absorbing them), then the stronger photosynthesis of the HOG3 would be better than this HOG2, so as to be able to out-compete with the photosynthesis on the rocks.
- Utilizes a rough & light-reflecting Green Grabber algal growth attachment surface, which accelerates algae growth
- Upflow scrubber technology prevents overflow risk-- since it is ALL underwater, it can`t overflow onto your floor
- Has 48 square inches (300 square cm) of one-sided algal growth surface
- No electrical parts go inside the aquarium
- Air bubbler supplied-- no air stone required
- Will run on both 120V and 240V
- Power supply comes with a 10 ft (300 cm) UL and CE approved power adapter cord with a simple 2-prong U.S. plug, which can easily be modified
- Can be used as a stand-alone filter or in conjunction with most other filters
- Dry-Out proof: Power outages will not affect it since it`s always under water
- Harvested algae can be used to feed your fish, if desired
- Includes a 1 year warranty for replacement or repair
- Includes 3 ft (90 cm) of vinyl airline, but requires an air pump that can pump at least 2.0 liters per minute (.07 cfm), preferably more
- Needs to be cleaned ("harvested") every 7 to 21 days or when thick with growth
- Magnets attach the outside cover to the inside cover through the aquarium wall, and can be used on glass or acrylic 1/4 inch (6 mm) to 5/8 inch (16 mm)
- Not recommended for tanks with thin 1/8" (3mm) glass, as the strong magnets may crack the glass
- Optimized for freshwater systems
- Includes four red (660 nm) 3-watt LEDs, which are attached to a heat sink inside the cover.
- Lights are powerful enough to grow green algae, as opposed to the brown algae grown by the lower power lights of the HOG1.3 or HOG2.
- The LEDs will give the aquarium or sump a slight red color at night when the aquarium lights are off
- The LEDs never need replacing
- A timer is required to run the LEDs for up to 22 hours per day
- Dimensions: 6 5/8" wide x 8 3/4" high x 1 1/2" thick (16.6cm wide x 21.9cm high x 3.75cm thick)
- Recommended Water Level: 7" (17.5cm) of water to operate in
- LEDs: 4 red (660 nm) 3-watt LEDs, which are attached to a heat sink inside the cover
- Requires an air pump that can pump at least 2.0 liters per minute (.07 cfm), which medium-cost air pumps can usually handle. Pumps that say they can handle 2 or more airstones/outlets, or pumps with 2 tubing attachments instead of one, will usually be needed. You can have as much air as you like, however; 10 lpm pumps are no problem.
|1 - 5 Gallons||5 - 10 Gallons||10 - 40 Gallons||55 - 120 Gallons||180 - 300 Gallons||450+ Gallons|
February 01, 2019
No, I would not recommend this.
Taken for a ride
Pros: Easy set up
Cons: Doesn’t do what it says it will do.
Had this in my sump on my 60 gallon reef and tank is about 6 years old...after seeing a lot of hair algae growing in the sump I decided to do some research on this product and after the YouTube videos they produce I had to invest in one. Almost three weeks later nothing has grown or even gotten dirty. I followed instructions but with no luck. Don't always believe what you see..
Was this review helpful? 0 5