Santa Monica Filtration HOG3 Hang-On-Glass Algae Scrubber
The HOG3 is a hang-on-glass algae scrubbing filtration system that can be used to reduce your glass cleaning and water changes while creating an environment for living micro-animals to grow inside the scrubber. Compared to the HOG.5, HOG1, and HOG1x scrubbers, the HOG3 offers much larger algae-attachment space to hold more growth between cleanings, as well as a 2-sided algal growth surface texture and stronger magnets to attach to thicker aquarium walls up to 5/8" (16mm).
The HOG3 is ideal for tanks which have nutrient or algae problems, aquariums that are showing signs of old tank syndrome, or in highly-fed predator or NPS corals tanks. It is designed for stronger photosynthesis with 6 LED lights and will need to be cleaned every 7 to 21 days.
- Utilizes a rough & light-reflecting Green Grabber algal growth attachment surface, along with double sided strings, which accelerates algae growth
- Upflow scrubber technology prevents overflow risk-- since it is ALL underwater, it can`t overflow onto your floor
- Has 36 square inches (225 square cm) of two-sided algal growth surface textures and strings
- No electrical parts go inside the aquarium
- Air bubbler supplied-- no air stone required
- Will run on both 120V and 240V
- Power supply comes with a 10 ft (300 cm) UL and CE approved power adapter cord with a simple 2-wire U.S. plug, which can easily be modified
- Can be used as a stand-alone filter or in conjunction with most other filters
- Dry-Out proof: Power outages will not affect it since it`s always under water
- Harvested algae can be used to feed your fish, if desired
- Includes a 1 year warranty for replacement or repair
- Includes 3 ft (90 cm) of vinyl airline, but requires an air pump that can pump at least 2.0 liters per minute (.07 cfm), preferably more
- Needs to be cleaned ("harvested") every 7 to 21 days or when thick with growth
- Magnets attach the outside cover to the inside cover through the aquarium wall, and can be used on glass or acrylic 1/4 inch (6 mm) to 5/8 inch (16 mm).
- Magnets are protected by a hard plastic cover inside black silicone, preventing rust or scrapes
- Not recommended for tanks with thin 1/8" (3mm) glass, as the strong magnets may crack the glass
- Includes six red (660 nm) 3-watt LEDs, which are attached to a heat sink inside the cover. *The cover does get warm
- Lights are powerful enough to grow green algae, as opposed to the brown algae grown by the lower power lights of the HOG1.3 or HOG2.
- The LEDs will give the aquarium or sump a slight red color at night when the aquarium lights are off
- The LEDs never need replacing
- A timer is required to run the LEDs for up to 22 hours per day
- Dimensions: 6 5/8" wide x 8 3/4" high x 1 1/2" thick (16.6cm wide x 21.9cm high x 3.75cm thick)
- Recommended Water Level: 7" (17.5cm) of water to operate in
- LEDs: 6 red (660 nm) 3-watt LEDs, which are attached to a heat sink inside the cover
- Requires an air pump that can pump at least 2.0 liters per minute (.07 cfm), which medium-cost air pumps can usually handle. Pumps that say they can handle 2 or more airstones/outlets, or pumps with 2 tubing attachments instead of one, will usually be needed. You can have as much air as you like, however; 10 lpm pumps are no problem.
|1 - 5 Gallons||5 - 10 Gallons||10 - 40 Gallons||55 - 120 Gallons||180 - 300 Gallons||450+ Gallons|
October 23, 2020
Good to help lower phosphates and nitrates
Was easy to setup. Took a few weeks to get it to where it was stable. You have to do a very controlled grow of the hair algae and clean just enough to get it to grow and even out properly. Once established it really does a great job. I also run a macro reactor on a different tank and this is on par but much easier to clean.
Was this review helpful? 2 0