Shrimp FlorinGro+ is a multi-component fertilizer and nitrogenous growth accelerator for shrimp and freshwater aquaria.
Nitrogen is one of the three nutrients required in the largest amounts by plants, followed by phosphorus and potassium. Nitrogen is a part of all living cells and is a requisite of the metabolic processes where proteins, amino acids, coenzymes, and nucleic acids are created. It is an integral part of plants producing chlorophyll via photosynthesis, the process in which light energy is utilized to convert carbon dioxide into carbohydrates that provide the energy for growth and development. A percentage of the nitrogen in aquaria is contributed as ammonia and ammonium, components of fish waste and the decomposition of nitrogen-bearing molecules, such as latent dissolved and particulate organic material, however this is not always sufficient to meet the nitrogen requirements posed by plants. Particularly in heavily-planted aquaria with intense lighting, CO2 supplementation, and/or a minimal stocking of fish, nitrogen can become a limiting nutrient in plant growth; in extreme cases, it can lead to chlorosis, in which the leaves become pale (particularly on older foliage, which tend to be on the periphery). Nitrogen deficiency tends to cause new leaves to be smaller and paler than normal, and overall plant growth to be stunted.
The source of nitrogen utilized in Shrimp FlorinGro+ is derived from nitrate compounds. Although plants do use ammonium and the constituents of urea very effectively, through experience and extensive research, it has been dictated these compounds be excluded from Shrimp FlorinGro+ as a result of the clear danger they pose to fish and other non-plant aquarium inhabitants when aquarium pH is greater than 7.0; we feel that these nitrogen sources are useful to aquatic botanists and horticulturists, but that they are not suited to use in an aquarium. Nitrogen should primarily be present as nitrate and maintained at a concentration of less than 20 ppm. In addition to nitrogen, magnesium, iron, and potassium are important to chlorophyll production. Maintaining a total iron concentration of 0.05 - 0.10 ppm, magnesium concentration of ~5 ppm, and potassium concentration of 15 - 30 ppm, is recommended.
- Copper free and shrimp safe.
- Concentrated source of nitrogen, one of the most important plant nutrients, required for growth and long-term health, and utilized primarily in the production of nucleic acids and proteins, accounting for up to 2% of plant tissue dry weight.
- Nitrogen is present as nitrate, a form appropriate for use in aquaria (we do not use ammonium which can revert to toxic ammonia in aquaria with pH over 7.0; nor urea which is a source of ammonia).
- Contains Kelp extract, which provides natural phytohormones found to encourage growth and flowering.
- Formulated utilizing extensive research on aquatic plant nutrient requirements.
- For accelerated plant growth: Shake product well before using. The most effective method of using any ion-specific supplement is to determine the ionic concentration in the aquarium prior to supplementing. Maintain the nitrate concentration within a range of 10 - 20 ppm; it is not recommended to exceed 25 ppm nitrate in planted aquaria housing fishes, shrimp or other invertebrates.
- Basic: First use Shrimp FlorinMulti. Then, for increase plant growth rate, add 4 ml (2 pumps if equipped with pump) of this product per 8 US-gallons (30 L) of aquarium water every other day or as required; this corresponds to 5 ml or 1 capful if not using pump (or ~35 drops) per 10 US-gallons (38 L). When used in this fashion, 500 ml treats up to 1,000 US-gallons (3,800 L).
- Advanced: Determine the nitrate concentration (“[NO3-]”) in the aquarium using an accurate test kit before supplementing. Each ml of Shrimp FlorinGro+ will increase the [NO3-] in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by 3.5 ppm. Each pump is 2 ml and will raise the concentration by 7 ppm. If the initial [NO3-] in the aquarium is below 20 ppm, add this product at the maximum rate of 2 ml (2 pumps) per 10 US-gallons daily until the desired concentration is attained, then dose daily or weekly as needed (see below). Always attempt to maintain the [NO3-] within a range of +/-2 ppm. To determine the dosing rate of this product once the desired [NO3-] has been acquired, measure the daily rate of nitrate uptake (i.e. the decrease in nitrate) in your aquarium by measuring the aquarium`s [NO3-] at the same time each day over a one- to two-week period. To determine the daily dosing rate (preferable to weekly dosing) for nitrate maintenance: estimate the volume of water in the entire aquarium system; divide the daily decrease in [NO3-] by 17.5; multiply this number by the volume of water in the system to get the daily dosage required (ml) to maintain a stable [NO3-]. Heavily-planted aquaria with intense lighting, CO2 supplementation, and low- to moderate-stocking density of fishes are likely to see the most dramatic results from nitrogen supplementation. Start at a low dosage and increase it as required, but do not overdose regardless of the temptation to do so.
- Caution: Keep out of reach of children. Not for human consumption.
Brightwell Aquatics Aquarium Supplies
The goal of Brightwell Aquatics is to provide the absolute highest quality, scientifically-sound products and customer service of any aquarium water care manufacturer, and to do it all in a straight-forward and honorable fashion. All Brightwell products are formulated by marine scientists with a passion for the aquarium hobby. They utilize the highest purity ingredients in concentrations that provide the most use to hobbyists. Nearly all Brightwell Aquatics products are over 99.9% pure. The usage guidelines of Brightwell Aquatics products are written in plain language but the company is always available to answer consumer questions. All products are lot numbered for quality control and customer service.