|***7/06/2021 SHIPPING UPDATE*** Algae Barn is upgrading their Phyto systems and is currently experiencing a short delay in shipping. Orders will now take 1-2 weeks to ship after purchase. Thank you.|
This set includes:
- 2 x Tig Pods - 12000+ Live Single Species Copepods (Tigriopus Californicus) 64 oz - Algae Barn
- 2 x OceanMagik - Live 4 Species Phytoplankton Blend (Nano, Tet, Iso & Thal) 64 oz - Algae Barn
Tig Pods - Tigriopus Californicus
AKA Tiger Pods, as their scientific name suggests, are found along the California coastline, and in tidepools or intertidal habitats all along the North American Pacific Coast. Due to their natural habitats, Tiger Pods can thrive under various conditions of salinity and temperature.
The Tiger Pods large size, colors and quick movements make them a more attractive species for fish to prey on. They are packed with omega-3 fatty and amino acids making them a nutritious meal. One female can lay hundreds of eggs during their life cycle, where the young add to the "cleanup crew" to then eventually become part of the food chain.
Benefits to Adding Copepods:
- Seeds Your Aquarium
- Copepods are an essential component of the flora and fauna.
- As copepods mature, they will change in shape and size making them excellent scavengers for the aquarium - they fit in all of the hard to reach areas.
- Each jar contains a range of juvenile to adult pods. Due to their size, adults are consumed quickly, while the younger population can reproduce, establish and sustain their numbers in your saltwater system.
OceanMagik - Phytoplankton
Containing four species of live phytoplankton strains, OceanMagik is an excellent food source for copepods, corals, clams, and other filter feeders. Nano, Iso, Tet, and Thal phyto strains were hand selected for this blend as they are high in nutritious fatty acids, proteins, vitamins, amino acids, and carotenoids.
As the phyto is live, they do reproduce, and as such will seek out and consume nitrates and phosphates in the aquarium, taking away from the food source of nuisance algae. Phytoplankton also helps clear up the water, sustain copepod populations and vitalize coral. Continued use has shown to maintain pH, as well.
Phytoplankton Strain Overview:
- "Nano", scientifically known as Nannochloropsis gaditana, are tiny, non-flagellated, yellow-green algae that consumes several nitrogen waste compounds which include: ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. This characteristic aids if you are prone to overfeeding, adding new livestock, or reducing the frequency of water changes.
- Size = 1 - 5 microns
- "Tet", scientifically known as Tetraselmis sp, are a green biflagellate strain, rich in amino and fatty acids. They are a great source of nutrition for marine life, and are often used in large aquaculture facilities for this.
- Size = 6 - 10 microns
- "Iso", scientifcally known as Isochrysis galbana, are brown, biflgellate algae high in DHA, the most essential omega-3 fatty acids. Iso is often used to feed zooplankton such as copepods and brine, so when dosed help boost their populations. For marine life, it will aid coloration, resilience in animals like: oysters, clams, mussels, and scallops.
- Size = 10 -14 microns
- "Thal", scientifically known as Thalassiosira weissflogii, are an unflagellated diatom and is the largest of the four strains present in OceanMagik. As a beneficial diatom, Thal consumes silicates which in turn restricts the growth of harmful dinoflagellates and silicates. Thal also reduces cycle time for new aquariums.
- Size = 5 - 32 microns
Benefits to Adding Phytoplankton:
- Beat Nuisance Algae
- OceanMagik`s unique blend outcompetes nuisance algae for nitrates and phosphates, the nuisance algaes` food source.
- Directly feeding your coral with phyto can help increase their polyp extension and improve their coloration.
- OceanMagik forms the base level of the food chain within the system, as a nutritious supplemental food for copepods, sustaining and maintaining their populations.
Aquarium Sizing Guide for Pods & Phytoplankton
|Tank Volume||Monthly Quantity|
(0 - 50 Gallons)
|16 oz. Pods & Phyto|
(51 - 100 Gallons)
|32 oz. Pods & Phyto|
(101 - 150 Gallons)
|48 oz. Pods & Phyto|
(151 - 200 Gallons)
|64 oz. Pods & Phyto|
We think the best way to inspire people to protect our oceans is to help them observe, understand and learn from the magnificent creatures that inhabit them. That’s why at Algaebarn we produce premium aquacultured marine organisms that are sustainable and eco-friendly. By providing quality live foods backed by scientific research, we aspire to improve the general health and longevity of ornamental fish. One day we hope to see all marine aquariums filled entirely with aquacultured organisms, thus reducing our hobby’s impact on natural marine environments. The best way to make that vision a reality is to start with the building blocks of all marine ecosystems; Zooplankton and Phytoplankton. We grow all of our premium Copepods and Phytoplankton at the base of the Rocky Mountains in our state of the art 2,000sqft aquaculture facility. As hobbyists ourselves we understand the importance of knowing what goes into your aquarium. That’s why we run all of our water through a twelve stage RODI system before mixing in InstantOcean synthetic sea salt. There are no fish or copper parts anywhere in our facility so you never have to worry about introducing anything unwanted into your aquarium. We only sell premium live Copepods & nutritious Phytoplankton with no harmful chemicals or preservatives.